Thursday, October 16, 2008

Losing the battle

This jacket has threatened to take down all of my free time, which is formidable. Finally, I see an end to it, but not without regret. I regret not taking more time to make sure that the jacket would lay properly, so the hem writhes and flinches as I walk. I regret not measuring the lining properly, so the lining doesn't quite meet the bottom hem. I regret cutting the front hems freehand, so the front is uneven. I regret looking like le petit prince.

But, I'm pleased that I have a fall jacket to wear! It fits, it's jacket-like, and I did it!

I first made a muslin out of an existing winter coat that fit pretty well, but could use more room in the shoulders and less in the waist. I made some adjustments to the muslin, but ultimately got impatient and started cutting the fabric based on additional adjustments that I imagined. Next time, I'll get the muslin perfect, first.

I can't imagine that the blow-by-blow is riveting, so let me skip ahead a little. I'm done and here are the pics to show you!


3 comments:

Nubby said...

I think this is great! I can't even see any of the regrets you mention!

Andrea said...

It must have been my camera trickery, but thanks!

jonesie said...

this coat is AWESOME. and i personally adore the fact that you look like le petit prince. i always knew you reminded me of someone.

the blog rocks!